Amusement parks are filled with attractions made especially for risk-takers and thrill-seekers. Many people in America have attended an amusement park at some time in their lives. Florida is the home to many enormous theme parks such as Walt Disney World, Universal Studios, Busch Gardens, SeaWorld Orlando, and LegoLand to name a few. Many thrill-seeking Floridians and tourists visit these various theme parks seeking spine-busting roller coasters, mouth-watering theme park food, and family-friendly fun and entertainment. However, these guests occasionally leave with severe injuries rather than happy memories.

Injuries at Amusement Parks

When you think of the types of injuries sustained at amusement parks the mind only tends to think of the devastatingly horrific injuries caused by ride malfunctions: lost limbs, scarring, disfigurement, and death. Although there are lawsuits from injuries sustained from roller coaster accidents, a vast majority deal with “slip and fall” cases. According to the Orlando Sun Sentinel’s review of 477 state and federal lawsuits filed between January 1, 2004, and December 31, 2008, against Walt Disney World, Universal Orlando, and Busch Gardens, 218 cases dealt with simple slip and fall litigation; 158 cases were lawsuits involving accidents in shops, during shows, or other miscellaneous accidents; and 101 cases came from accidents sustained on rides. Slip and fall cases represented 46% of the litigation concerning injuries sustained in these amusement parks during that time.

Do Amusement Parks Owe a Duty to Protect Its Patrons?

When patrons enter amusement parks they are classified by law as “business invitees.” A business invitee is someone 1) invited onto another’s property and 2) their presence benefits both parties. When a person obtains the status of “business invitee” certain duties arise which the amusement park owes to that person. The duties owed by the amusement park to its patrons or “business invitees” are as follows:

  • To correct or warn of dangers the owner knows or should know through the use of reasonable care, and which the visitor does not or cannot know by the use of reasonable care.
  • To maintain the premises in a reasonably safe condition including to guard against foreseeable third-party crime.

What To Do If You’re Injured at an Amusement Park

If you or a loved one is injured in a slip and fall accident or by a ride while at an amusement park, seek medical attention as soon as possible. If your injuries require multiple doctor visits, continuing care, or even physical therapy due to the injuries you have sustained, then contact an attorney at Reed & Reed by calling (813) 438-5960.

From our office in Brandon, we help clients in Tampa, New Tampa, Plant City, throughout Hillsborough County, and the state of Florida. Alternatively, you can contact us through our website ( to schedule a consultation. Our personal injury attorneys are knowledgeable in Florida law and will help you understand the legal process during a difficult time. Reed & Reed provides personal one-on-one communication with their clients. Don’t let the legal process deter you from being fully compensated for your injuries; contact us today. It truly is like having a lawyer in the family.