Car accidents can be stressful. The pain and suffering from injuries related to the crash – and at worst, any fatalities involved – in addition to property damage and rising medical bills can make an already difficult time almost unbearable. For these reasons, you should not try to navigate the legal complexities stemming from a car accident alone. If you or someone you know has been injured in a car accident, after receiving appropriate medical care, make sure a seasoned Orlando car accident attorney is contacted immediately.

Common Questions

While your hired attorney’s advice is best, below are answers to some frequently asked questions regarding Florida car accidents:

Should I contact law enforcement after a car accident?

Although state law does not require individuals to contact law enforcement after a car accident, it is a good idea to notify the police and file a report if necessary – especially if there is property damage or bodily injury.

What is a bodily injury claim?

A bodily injury claim consists of a claim for damages specifically for pain and suffering following a car accident. Should you be determined at fault for the collision, this type of claim cannot be pursued. On the other hand, if another party is found to be at fault, a claim can be brought against the party in court if a permanent injury has been suffered as a result of the accident. Permanent injuries include bone fractures, visible scars, injuries that require surgical intervention, and even soft tissue injuries (i.e. herniated disks, bulging disks, leg and shoulder sprains, etc.) if a qualified doctor can testify as to the percentage of the permanency of the damage.

What is an uninsured motorist (UM) claim?

An underinsured/uninsured motorist (UIM/UM) claim can be thought of as a bodily injury claim, but against your own insurance company as opposed to the other party’s. When the other, at-fault driver does not carry enough liability insurance – or any insurance at all – to cover the other driver’s injuries, a UIM/UM claim can be filed.

How much does my personal injury protection (PIP) cover?

Florida law caps PIP at $10,000. This amount covers a majority of medical bills (80 percent) and more than half of lost wages (60 percent) until the coverage limit is depleted. Other expenses relating to the accident, such as travel to and from the doctor, may be covered as well under PIP.

What if I was working when the accident occurred?

If your accident occurred while on the job, and while in the usual course of business, a workers’ compensation claim may be viable and could supplement a personal injury claim. It is important to know that under Florida law a workers’ compensation claim is optional, and not required.

Hiring an Orlando Car Accident Attorney

If you or someone you know has been injured in a car accident, your pain and suffering should not be enhanced by the legal complexities of a personal injury lawsuit. The legal professionals at Reed & Reed work hard to ensure their clients get the best recovery. From our office in Brandon, we help clients in Tampa, New Tampa, Plant City, East Hillsborough County and throughout the state of Florida. Contact Reed & Reed for a free consultation.